Amiga 500 / 500+ External IDE Interface 40pin with a beige housing in Amiga 500 look.
Amiga 500 / 500+ External IDE Interface 40pin Kit, with direct-attached IDE-2-CF adapter and pre-installed 256MB CF card
Amiga 500 / 500+ External IDE Interface 40pin
For those people who prefer not to open their Amiga 500, or who want to use a CD-ROM or IDE-2-CF adapter externally, there is now also an external version of the IDE interface.
This interface has been up and running here and at quite a lot of other people's places since it's introduction October 2021 without any problems, has a 40 pin IDE connection, has Power over IDE (Configurable) , and is fused by a self-resetting PolyFuse .
Power supply Amiga 500 / 500+ External IDE Interface 40pin.
This interface has the possibility to provide power for the connected device via pin 20 of the IDE interface, the advantage of this is that you no longer need a power cable.
Pin 20 is normally the Keying pin, and is often omitted on devices, or close to IDE cables.
This option is therefore only intended for devices that support this, eg IDE-2-CF Adapters.
(before turning this on, make sure the connected card supports this)
The power supply of an Amiga 500 is NOT suitable for powering harddisks and CD-ROM drives, so you want to connect something different to your IDE interface than an IDE-2- CF adapter, make sure you have a suitable external power supply for that device.
Notes on Amiga 500 / 500+ External IDE Interface 40pin
- The specifications of the Amiga 500 External IDE Interface are largely the same as the internal Amiga 500 versions, and the version for the amiga 2000.
- The Amiga 500 External IDE Interface is 11 cm long and 5 cm deep, without the IDE-2-CF adapter the card only extends 2-3 cm outside the amiga.
- You don't need to open your Amiga 500 / 500+ for this External IDE Interface.
- This External IDE interface works with all revisions of the Amiga 500 / 500+.
- Can (configurable) pass the power supply via the IDE connection (pin 20). (This is only intended for devices that are specially made for this)
(That means if you order an interface with IDE-2-CF adapter from me you don't need a power cable.)
- This interface has a self-resetting fuse against overload and short circuit for the IDE pin 20 power supply.
- The interface is NOT Autobooting, you boot from a special bootdisk, which after loading the IDE driver switches to the harddisk / CF card and continues the boot from there.
- There is a patched 3.1 kickstart available which allows autobooting this interface without a floppy.
- The average time between the reset and a loaded Workbench 1.3 is 20-25 seconds under kickstart 1.3.
- Master / Slave combinations of CF / hard disk / CD-ROM*
(CD-ROM / DVD-ROM Support from Kickstart 2.0x)
- 400-800 KB Read Speed (depends on CPU / Filesystem / IDE Device)
* there seem to be drivers for CD-ROM support under kickstart 1.3, support from kickstart 2.0x
Submit your review
Ik heb deze interface net binnen en het ziet er zeer netjes uit. De service van Ed is zoals gewend met eerdere aankopen wederom echt super. Open, eerlijk en vooral, hij denkt met je mee voor de beste en mooiste oplossing.<br />
De case is ook super, alles is strak afgewerkt.<br />
Tot de volgende aankoop, voor Commodore en Atari spullen is dit het eerste adres waar ik zoek.<br />
I've just got this interface and it looks really good. The service from this shop is great, the owner is friendly and really tries to help you where he can to build you the best possible solution.<br />
The case on this interface is also really nice.<br />
This is my go to shop for any Commodore and Atari related products. <br />
Thanks again Ed.
Excellent solution! Excellent product! Must have if you own an Amiga 500.
Thanx Ed,<br />
Nice product!!! Works perfect.
This works perfectly!
Another piece of magic from Ed.
I use my Amiga in Workbench a lot for Assembly Programming and accessing BBS'. This device saves me having to swap floppies and speeds up the entire experience.
Very easy to use and comes with a preconfigured CF card so you don't need to go through the hassle of setting them up with the A500.
Wholly recommend, and Ed is a great guy, he will help you get to the set up that you dream of.
Awesome product! It works perfectly on my Amiga 500, right out of the box. Built impeccably well and preconfigured for the CF card, finally I have my own HD! Recommended, absolutely. Thanks Ed!
I've the bought the external IDE interface together with a 512mb CF solution, and I have to say that it was plug and play for me!, already neat configurated.
The interface itself is top quality.
Ed gave me a big hand with a lot of useful tips for a rookie like me, just starting with the amazing Amiga 500.
Ed, thank you vey much!